Sunday, August 9

Joy of reading randomly without obligation to write something out of it!





No admission fees to visit CMU library eventhough you are not the university staffs or students, unlike ones at CU. Without obligation to write something out of what I read; I currently feel this joy.


Same as traveling without a map, I let go expectations for a certain destination, but browse the shelfs here and there aimlessly, allowing books to lead me drifting on unfamiliar ocean of ideas.


The Philosophy book shelf brought me travel back in time, for me to breed the air of Republic of Geneva when Rousseau presenting his essays on 'A Discourse on the Moral Effects of the Arts and Science' to the Academy of Dijon as to answer whether the restoration of the arts and science had purifying effect upon morals? and another one on 'The origin and foundation of the inequality of mankind' which gave me another picture of human being in 'state of nature', in contrast to conception in Hobbes's Leviathan.


Another stride passing the illustrated references book section, I am introduced to the movement of 'Universal Rights to a Beautiful and Functional Home' that set precedent for the integration of local craft design with industrial production, which promote the growth of swedish interior design that benefited both local consumers and the production complex. I surprisingly learnt how the global reputation of IKEA had roots in the 200-year-old of social-astetic propaganda that its catalysts such as Ellen Key strongly believed that art and beauty would produce happier human beings and better citizen.


Sometime when entering the library, I stop by at stop-over desk of the returned books, I accidentally saw so many diverse topics of books I can pick for new exploration, I realised this precious opportunity and freedom. Yet there remains limitation of time and my own capability to extend this mind-travelling through books to be never ending. Key is I need to accelerate my reading speed! Or should I find a goal to really get to somewhere ?


As of iddleness in travelling, I am in praise of this joy of reading randomly, at least for the moment I take a break from working on the ground. One painful consequence of such joy I should not be omited to aware however is Superficiality !

1 comment:

  1. Jharas,
    I haven't touched Rousseau for years but I can relate to the happiness brought to me by Ikea furniture--in particular my new Poang chair.

    ReplyDelete